Re: AW: font-locking and open parens in column 0

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: AW: font-locking and open parens in column 0
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:38:48 -0500

    I agree with you.  :-)  However, my patch is to do with
    beginning-of-defun-raw, not font-locking.  Are you saying that
    open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start shouldn't exist at all?  When it is
    nil, a paren in column 0 may not, of itself, be regarded as a defun
    start.

    Richard, please say what you think about this.

I think it is correct to implement open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start
in the best way possible.  So please install your change.

However, it is also important to implement the font lock optimizations
as Stefan described them.  Can you do that now?  Also, warning about
misleading parens as Lisp mode does would be a good thing to implement
in C mode, whenever appropriate.

Stefan wrote:

    According to its docstring, the current behavior is correct:

       Normally a defun starts when there is a char with open-parenthesis
       syntax at the beginning of a line.

The purpose of open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start is to enable ot
disable this heuristic.  Setting it to nil disables the heuristic.
So I think his change is correct.