Re: allout encryption and non-ascii characters

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: allout encryption and non-ascii characters
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:28:52 -0500

i have had some success with getting allout topic encryption to
encrypt text so that characters in an alternate coding set are
preserved.  i am looking for people to test it - i am so unfamiliar
with coding sets in general that i don't really know how to be sure it
works generally!  (i am excited, though, that i was able to round-trip
some text with an elaborate <'> apostrophe that isn't preserved in the
ascii character set, but is preserved in iso-2022-7bit.)

i'm attaching a full copy of the revised allout.el for testing - make
sure you're not getting byte code from an old version when giving it a
go.  and when you do test it, be sure that the file you're working
with has a coding set which preserves the characters on rereading -
the encryption depends on the buffer being in the right coding set.

let me know whether or not it works for you, and if possible, the
coding set of the trial ('Esc-x buffer-file-coding-set' will tell
you).  if i get good confirmation that this works, i'll submit a
proper patch.

thanks!