Re: Ftp freezes on w32

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Ftp freezes on w32
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:00:15 -0800 (PST)

> Am I the only person here using ange-ftp (through tramp of course) on
> w32???

I may have some helpful comments on your previous email, but they're not
solid yet.  For now:

> I have tried a couple of workarounds, but none has worked as I wish yet.
> What I thought would work was to kill and restart the ange ftp process
> in ange-ftp-send-cmd when ange-ftp-process-filter finds that the  ftp
> process sends just nulls. I tried something like this then
>
>     (delete-process proc)
>    (while (not (eq 'exit (process-status proc)))
>      (sit-for 1)
>      (sleep-for 1) ;; Hope one of them works
>     (message "process-status=%s" (process-status proc)))
>
> This just loops and tells that the process is "signaled". Is there
> something else I can do here? (I have tried kill-process too with the
> same result.) I thought that sit-for or sleep-for would give Emacs a
> chance to finish the ftp process, but it does not seem so.

Look at the docs for `process-status'.  A return of `signal' means that
the process -is dead-, and that it was killed by a signal (rather than
exiting of its own volition, which yields `exit').  You got exactly what
you wanted.  (You can check which signal killed it with
`process-exit-status'.)

Davis

shipping.