Re: Ftp freezes on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Ftp freezes on w32
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:30:40 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:
Stuart D. Herring wrote:
Look at the docs for `process-status'.  A return of `signal' means that
the process -is dead-, and that it was killed by a signal (rather than
exiting of its own volition, which yields `exit').  You got exactly what
you wanted.  (You can check which signal killed it with
`process-exit-status'.)

Davis

Ah! Thanks, I just tried and at least my workaround now works.

I thought that that 'signal meant dying ....

Now, my workaround (which is the only way I currently know of getting this working with w2k) is as follows:

1) Throw to a tag in ange-ftp-process-filter if the ftp process seems out of order (waiting, only nulls and more than 20 characters is my current test) 2) Catch this in ange-ftp-send-cmd and call delete-process there and then let ange-ftp-get-process restart the ftp process

Is this something we want in ange-ftp? If not I believe we should give a reciepe for how to get ange-ftp working, but I am not sure how this should look. What I do know is that this does not work OTB for all w2k users, see the page on EmacsWiki that I mentioned before.

The ftp program I am using is from ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/contrib/ftp-for-win32.zip.

(Hope I do not send this two times. Thunderbird got upset by some
problems with the SMTP server.)

FYI: I have included a patch doing the things above in the
Emacs+EmacsW32 distribution, see http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html.