Problem with non-bmp unicode

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Problem with non-bmp unicode
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:26:14 +0100

Hi,

We received a bug report from Taneli Vahakangas <address@hidden>
against emacs21 related to unicode and non-bmp characters.
(http://bugs.debian.org/397159)

--------------

An UTF-8 file (attached) with these three characters:
U+0022 U+00010380 U+0022
shows with "emacs -nw":
"\360\220\216\200"
which is not usable at all. The file displays correctly if I cat it.

I tried a bunch of other characters outside the BMP, all of which
fail in the same way. Characters in the BMP work nicely.

Apparently, emacs 22 shows a question mark instead of "\360\220\216\200"
but trying to delete the question mark character with backspace turn it into
"\360\220\216".

Since I'm no unicode expert, I don't know what is supposed to happen in that
case.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant