Cut buffers and character encoding

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Cut buffers and character encoding
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:39:34 +0100

Hi,

I received a bug report about Emacs 22.0.90 stating that Emacs doesn't
do charset conversion when receiving text from a cut buffer.  From the
report:

,----
| When I paste the cut buffer in an Emacs window in UTF-8 locales, Emacs
| doesn't do any charset conversion. This problem occurs with both X and
| GTK versions.
|
| To reproduce the problem:
| 1. In UTF-8 locales: emacs -q
| 2. Open an xterm.
| 3. In the xterm, type 'éèê'.
| 4. Select 'éèê' in the xterm.
| 5. Quit the xterm (now, 'éèê' is no longer in the primary selection,
|    only in the cut buffer, which Emacs supports).
| 6. Paste in Emacs (middle mouse button).
|
| I get:
|
| \351\350\352
|
| instead of:
|
| éèê
`----

This is in apparent contradiction to what the docstring of the
`selection-coding-system' variable says:

,----[ C-h v selection-coding-system RET ]
| Documentation:
| Coding system for communicating with other X clients.
| When sending or receiving text via cut_buffer, selection, and clipboard,
| the text is encoded or decoded by this coding system.
`----

Using xcutsel to move the cut buffer back to a primary selection shows
that the content itself is fine, so the problem lies with Emacs.

More info here: http://bugs.debian.org/397447

Thanks,

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open