Re: Postscript printing on A4

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: Postscript printing on A4
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:04:55 -0200

Hi Piet,

You could try to set `ps-lpr-switches' variable to force the printer to use A4, if the printer supports A4.

The CUPS Software Users Manual <http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html> says that to set the media size, type and/or source you have to use the option "-o media=X" where X is the media size, as in the command line:

   lp -o media=Letter filename
   lp -o media=A4 filename
   lpr -o media=Letter filename
   lpr -o media=A4 filename

So, you could try to set in your ~/.emacs (or equivalent in Mac OS X):

(setq ps-lpr-switches '("-o media=A4"))

Regards,

Vinicius

Piet van Oostrum wrote:
I am using Emacs 22.0.90 (less than a week old) on Mac OS X 10.4.8.

I had problems printing on A4 paper with Postscript Print Buffer
(ps-print-buffer-with-faces). I have ps-paper-type set to a4 and the
resulting Postscript contains:

%%DocumentMedia: A4 595 842 0 () ()
and
%%PageMedia: A4

Nevertheless the printer requests letter size paper and when I force it to
use A4, the top op the text is chopped off.

It seems that CUPS is not honoring the %%DocumentMedia and %%PageMedia
comments. Is this normal? Or is this a macosx specific problem?

For the time being I solved it by the using lpoptions command to make A4
the default, however this would make it impossible to use other formats,
e.g. photo's I presume.

Is the same problem appearing on other systems that use CUPS?