Re: Security flaw in pgg-gpg-process-region?

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Security flaw in pgg-gpg-process-region?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 23:00:38 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

First of all: sorry for this _really_ late reply...

>     Finlay I do agree that the current handling of passphrases in Emacs is
>     a serious security problem, which should be solved.
>
> The solution of waiting a while and urging people to start using
> gpg-agent is by far the easiest.

Ack.  This is a working solution, and as it seems the only realistic
for the upcoming release.

> If you think we need another interim solution, would you please
> implement it?

I thought of it, but as far as I can see the necessary changes would
involve some substantial changes/extensions of parts of emacs I'm not
very familiar with -- so I guess it wouldn't be a good thing to do at
this point of time.

Maybe we should point out the problem somewhere in the docs?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Real programmers don't want "what you see is what you get", they want