Re: Bogus byte-compiler warnings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bogus byte-compiler warnings
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:44:32 -0500

    foo-1 will not be called if it's not fbound.  (Emacs complains about
    both, foo-1 and foo-2).

What does that last sentence mean?  When I compile that file, there is
a warning for foo-1 but NO warning for foo-2.  In what sense does Emacs
"complain" about both?

The reason there is a warning for foo-1 is that the code in the
compiler to avoid such warnings recognizes only the simpler case (such
as foo-2) and not the more complex case that foo-1 is.

I would not mind if that code were made smarter.