Re: Switching to Subversion

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:23:42 +0530

Hi,
Adding to an already long chain are my experiences (as I was involved
in selecting a SCM for the project).

On the work/professional front, I am working on porting Samba to
OpenVMS (in HP). We found a need to have a distributed SCM (as the
native SCM known as CMS had some limitations).

- Since Samba project uses SVN (subversion), I thought it was best for
us to use SVN. I was willing to run the server on GNU/Linux box and
have clients on VMS (on which we develop). We did not find the
clients.
- I was then inclined in using bazaar which is implemented in PYTHON.
Since PYTHON is quite well ported, I assumed the clients would run
seamlessly on VMS. The snag was that the current bazaar-ng requires
PYTHON 2.5+ (only 2.4 is ported on VMS)
- CVS was was the only option left. The client was available on ALPHA
VMS, with miminal changes to the build scripts, I was able to get it
on IA64 (Itanium) VMS.

Ever since, we have being using CVS. I am waiting for getting PYTHON
2.5 on VMS to be able to start using bazaar-ng. IMO, the idea of
client being developed in a language that is interpreted or works on a
virtual machine is ideal. The SCM developers need not worry on
portability and can concentrate on adding the SCM features!

-dk

--
dhruva (dk)
Contents reflect my personal views only!