Re: emacsclientw

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: emacsclientw
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:11:38 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Have you tested the emacsclientw.exe build with MSVC?

I think there is also a need for something that starts Emacs if it is not already running, so I came up with the following (based on runemacs.c), which I intended to check into the nt directory. The intention is to use this to associate Emacs with file types in Explorer and other applications that allow external editors.

I like the idea but I think it will need some enhancement to take care of the --no-wait flag in the case when Emacs is not running from the beginning.

Actually I would prefer that this code made it into emacsclient. If it were it would be easier to take care of the --no-wait flag.

Another thing would like is to have emacsclient optionally request that emacs runs `server-start´ when starting emacs. Is not that much easier for new emacs users? Does not that also makes it easier to take care of the --server-file option? (I added the feature to start emacs to gnuclient on w32 before and it seems like users like it.)