Re: emacsclientw

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclientw
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:36:35 -0500

>> Another thing would like is to have emacsclient optionally request that
>> emacs runs `server-start´ when starting emacs. Is not that much easier
>> for new emacs users? Does not that also makes it easier to take care of
>> the --server-file option?

> How do you propose to do that in a generic way? You'll have to add
> environment variables or new args to allow customizing it.

I don't see much problem here: just start Emacs with something like
"emacs <file> --eval (server-mode 1)".

> For example, I don't run `server-start', but `server-mode', because the
> later runs `server-mode-hook', which I need.

I consider `server-start' as a left over from the past.

> How do you know how much to wait before retrying emacsclient?

One way is to not wait: let this Emacs server handle the request
immediately, without going through emacsclient/server.  The server is only
started as a convenience for subsequent uses of emacsclient.

> Will you pass to Emacs the server-name?

We should, yes.

        Stefan