Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:43:40 -0500

> As documented in the doc string of the command `use-hard-newlines',
> newlines not marked hard are internal to paragraphs.  However,
> currently the syntax feature does not work well with this.  For
> example, if you turn on long-lines mode with M-x longlines-mode RET in
> the *scratch* buffer, you will see the word `evaluation' in the first
> line is wrapped into the second line, but not recognized as a part of
> the comment.

It's not clear at all that it's a bug rather than a feature.
I think if it's a bug, the bug is in longlines.el since it is longlines
which decides that soft-newlines are basically "display only artifacts".

In most other contexts, soft newlines are much more real (they're soft, but
they're newlines nevertheless).

        Stefan