Re: Switching to Subversion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:31:07 +0900

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>> I tried to use mercurial a long time ago, and noticed it seemed to have
>> only very poor renaming support -- renames basically seemed to show up
>> as delete+add (mind you git's not all that great either in that sense).
>
> This was much improved recently.  You can rename/move files around in a
> mercurial repository and the files history will be preserved.

That's good to hear.

One point which concerns me with is how renaming interacts with merging
-- that's one reason why representing a rename as del+add is problematic.

For instance, if I rename A->B, and then later merge a branch where the
author made a change to A ... what happens?  What if I rename A->B, and
then merge a branch where the author renamed A->C and made
changes to C?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.