Re: Switching to Subversion

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: 14 Nov 2006 02:53:56 +0100

> Before considering use of subversion for Emacs

Richard, please don't do that.  Centralised revision control systems
are not suitable for Free Software.

Use Git, use Mercurial, use Darcs, use Monotone, use Arch, I don't
care.  But please use a distributed revision control system.

When you use a centralised RCS, either you have commit rights, in
which case all is fine, or you don't, in which case the RCS
degenerates to just a way to get the latest version of the software.

With a distributed RCS, I don't need commit rights in your repository
to use the RCS if I want to do some hacking on Emacs, I just branch
from your repository and create a local branch on my machine.

Thanks for listening,

                                        Juliusz Chroboczek