Re: emacsclientw

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: emacsclientw
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:09:23 +0530

On 11/14/06, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just re-confirmed. "emacsclientw.exe" launches emacs if it is not
> running. I have built the whole stuff using MSVC on WXP.

Just the way I would like it. Reading the latest message gets me a bit
scared: one of the nice things with gnuserv/gnuclient/gnudoit on
Windows is that Emacs is started if it is not started already.
Splitting this into two different clients seems no good, IMHO. Trying
to get collegues to use Emacs is hard as it is, they barely accept
using gnuclient(w).exe (they wonder why they just cannot associate the
emacs exe directly with certain file types without getting multiple
copies running).

I take back my words, I did a cvs update (now) and built emacs from
scratch (bootstrap). The resulting emacsclientw does not start emacs
if it is not running! I remember a quote by a fellow developer long
back when a nice feature that worked just stopped working "All good
things must come to an end sooner or later...."
I was very happy with the behavior except that I wanted an option to
set the "--no-wait" as default so that I will not be prompted by emacs
before killing every file visited using emacsclientw (or emacsclient).

The minibuffer prompt I get:
Buffer `_emacs' still has clients; kill it? (y or n)

-dk

--
dhruva (dk)
Contents reflect my personal views only!