Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:39:18 +0100

> All minor modes should use a same value for a variable, either local
> or global, to avoid conflicting each other.  If the value of a global
> variable is changed, all buffers will be affected.  Carefully designed
> minor modes will not likely do this for a variable that does not
> belong to itself, so only the behavior of killing local variables
> matters here.

A minor mode is certainly incorrect if it doesn't work as intended when
`parse-sexp-lookup-properties' is t.  A minor is also incorrect if it
globally sets `parse-sexp-lookup-properties'.  Hence, as you note, only
the behavior when killing this variable locally matters.  If modes need
conflicting values for one and the same variable, they must use a `let'
binding.

> Because many minor modes may be activated or deactivated in any order,
> your method seems to be the only way.  But it requires checking every
> minor mode, which is a lot of work.  :(

It would require a minor mode to add a symbol to a list when it is
turned on and remove that symbol when it is turned off.  I don't think
that's a lot of work.