Re: ruby-mode?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ruby-mode?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:04:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:43:41 +0900
>> From: "Seiji Zenitani" <address@hidden>
>>
>> In November 2005, I contacted both ruby-mode authors and RMS.
>> Ruby-mode authors agreed, but it was postponed because Emacs 22 was
>> coming near. One year has passed since then. Considering its
>> importance, I think it's time to include ruby-mode.
>
> FWIW, I don't see why Emacs 22 release is of any importance for the
> decision whether to include ruby-mode, unless ruby-mode requires
> changes in other parts of Emacs.  If no such additional changes are
> required, inclusion of ruby-mode cannot possibly hurt anything, since
> this is a new feature that didn't exist before.

Well, strictly speaking, we would not want to have Emacs hang (for
example while font-locking) when it opens a Ruby file, even if it
means opening it in Fundamental Mode.

However, since ruby-mode.el has presumably been used by a non-zero
number of users this last year, I don't think that this catastrophic
scenario is probable enough to prefer having Emacs 22 without a
dedicated Ruby mode.

So Seiji, do you know whether the assignment process was done at that
time?  If it wasn't, that's something we should really do now.