Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:58:38 -0500

> BTW: How about this problem?  I'm not sure what I should do now.
> Could somebody please give some suggestions?  Thanks.

> A list of problems:

>    [1] The orignal problem in longlines.el.

>    [2] Whether adding a `syntax-table' property when inserting
>        soft newlines.

>    [3] The problem Johan refered.

>    [4] The problem Martin refered.

I don't know those problems are.  But here's what I think you should do:

1 - add a syntax-table property (value (0), meaning "whitespace") on
    soft newlines.

2 - set parse-sexp-lookup-property to t when turning on the minor mode.

3 - don't unset parse-sexp-lookup-property because it's too much trouble
    with no known benefit.

4 - if you want to remove the syntax-table property when turning of the
    minor mode off, that's would be OK, although I'm not sure it's worth the
    trouble for now.

-- Stefan