Re: Problem with splash screen and emacsclient

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Problem with splash screen and emacsclient
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:50:31 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:
I have asked the question below at least once before on the list (but then I mentioned gnuclient):

If Emacs is showing the splash screen and you open a file with emacsclient then Emacs shows that it is in some kind of recursive edit mode. The mode line may look like this

  --\-- emacsclient.c   Top L1 CVS:1.91 [(C/l)] ----------------

Some commands does not work until the splash screens times out. The [] disappears then from the mode line. (You can use M-x top-level to get out of this state before time out.)

It seems like emacs server should remove the splash screen just as normal input events does. But how should that be done? The function showing the splash screen is doing a (sit-for 120).

Sorry, I sent this message too early (I thought it was stuck - some problems with the mail server here).

I do not know yet for sure what the splash screen is waiting for. But the behaviour seems similar to sit-for.

I think the server should remove the splash screen and I wonder how to do it. Any suggestions?