Re: Cut buffers and character encoding

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Cut buffers and character encoding
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:47:14 +0100

Richard Stallman skrev:
    > When killing and yanking even non-Latin text within Emacs, Emacs
    > seems to encode and decode the text using iso-latin-1 now.
> Ah, I misunderstood the check for newness, please try again (don't forget to recompile x-win.el).

Didn't someone say that X11 specifies that the cut buffer is always
supposed to be in latin-1?

Yes, it is in ICCCM.

 We changed Emacs so that C-x RET c
would specify another coding system in case you're using one,
but aside from when C-x RET c is used, Emacs should always treat
it as Latin 1.  Isn't that so?

Yes it is so. The problem was that wen you select something in Emacs, regardless of coding, Emacs puts it in the cut buffer. And then when pasting in the same Emacs, Emacs compares the contents of the cut buffer with the last thing it put there. If they are the same, Emacs assumes that there is no new stuff in the cut buffer and uses data from its kill ring instead.

I messed up so that the contents from the cut buffer always looked new to Emacs. But I've fixed that now.

        Jan D.