Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:57:20 +0100

On 11/21/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

But nevertheless nobody would think of proposing that voluntas.tex and
volvntas.tex should map to the same file.

Not today. Every single roman (from the classical period) able to read
and use a computer would have proposed just that!

Having different file names map to the same file is a recipe for
trouble.

Circular reasoning. MyBook.txt and mybook.txt are not different file
names in case-insensitive systems. Certainly, when I'm looking for
that old picture of my dogs, I want to find "Mila&Nero.png" when I
search for "mila&nero". I don't distinguish between capitalized or
non-capitalized words, except in very specific (written) contexts. I
don't know why my computer should insist I do.

And plenty of successful operating systems have been case-insensitive,
so it is clearly not a bad idea, not unworkable, nor particularly
dangerous, difficult to implement, or hard on the user. It's just
another UI decision. One I like a lot.

                   /L/e/k/t/u