Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:19:28 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/21/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> But nevertheless nobody would think of proposing that voluntas.tex and
>> volvntas.tex should map to the same file.
>
> Not today. Every single roman (from the classical period) able to read
> and use a computer would have proposed just that!
>
>> Having different file names map to the same file is a recipe for
>> trouble.
>
> Circular reasoning. MyBook.txt and mybook.txt are not different file
> names in case-insensitive systems.

Yes, they are.  As can easily be verified by listing the directory
after creating either file.

They certainly _are_ different file names, but they can't refer to
different files.

> Certainly, when I'm looking for that old picture of my dogs, I want
> to find "Mila&Nero.png" when I search for "mila&nero".

That does not make the names the same, merely changes your search
strategy.

> I don't distinguish between capitalized or non-capitalized words,
> except in very specific (written) contexts. I don't know why my
> computer should insist I do.

It doesn't.  It just insists that you are consistent.  If you want to
write lowercase, do so.  If you want to capitalize, do so.

> And plenty of successful operating systems have been
> case-insensitive, so it is clearly not a bad idea, not unworkable,

It is a constant source for trouble in scripts of all sorts.  I guess
about 20% of Windows installation problem reports with AUCTeX
originate from capitalization mixups.

> nor particularly dangerous, difficult to implement, or hard on the
> user. It's just another UI decision. One I like a lot.

It is a constant trouble for programmers, and that leads to quite
obtuse user problems.