Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:01:35 +0100

On 11/22/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Listing the directory.  Just
dir
and nothing else.

Yes. It *preserves* the case. It does not attach any meaning to the
difference. It just preserves it. That Is Good.

It is your Windows system that throws the file name with the same
capitalization with which it was created back at you.

Yes, a feature. Nice of you to add support to my position.

Then why do you spell them differently?

Because writing systems allow inconsistent spellings. I'm perfectly OK
being called Juanma or juanma. I promise you that if you ever yell my
name on the street, I'll turn back towards you, even if you pronounce
it in lowercase.

String equality is not a byproduct of "case-sensitive mindsets".

No. I don't remember talking about string equality, but filenames. I
don't know why do you try to convince me that strings and names (of
files, people, cities, whatever) are the same thing. They are not.

Tough.  I had, repeatedly so, as maintainer of AUCTeX and other
systems.  And I don't even use Windows myself.

Surely because AUCTeX was written without giving thought to the weird
idea that there could be case-insensitive systems in the world.

                   /L/e/k/t/u