Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:25:28 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Cc: address@hidden
>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:35:46 +0100
>>
>> And they don't violate the principle that listing a directory will
>> tell you all legal _file names_ available from that directory.  I can
>> decide whether the file `/fdsaf/dsafd/asfd/daffa' can exist by looking
>> at the directory listing of `/fdsaf/dsafd/asfd/'.
>>
>> That is not possible with case insensitive file systems unless I have
>> a function that is guaranteed to compare file names exactly in the
>> same manner as the operating system does.
>
> The Windows API does have such a function.  Heck, even DOS had it.
> And it can be emulated on Posix filesystems with readdir and fnmatch.
> It's a non-issue.

Which must be why neither Emacs nor Bash nor likely any other
application get this non-issue right.

I don't say that fixing this should be a high priority, but I find the
stance "there are no problems with case-insensitivity except
programmer incompetence, and if you point out anything I'll deny it"
disingenuous.

Given this "four legs good, two legs bad" argument style sanctifying
the status quo, I am really glad this "discussion" can be dropped
since we don't need to resolve anything in this regard.