Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:04:40 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:13:15 +0100
>
> If the file system contains a file "i.tex", will this conflict with
> "İ.tex"?  If it contains "ἀ.tex", will it conflict with "Α.tex"?  Do
> the conflicts change when you move from an English to a Turkish
> locale?
>
> Answer this without looking up the relevant documentation or trying it
> out.  Can you?

Sure, I can: call the right interface, and it will tell you.  I already
explained twice how to do that, I won't explain for the 3rd time.

> >> So why do I get "No Match" when typing
> >>
> >> C-x C-f /c/my docu <TAB>
> >>
> >> when there is a directory
> >>
> >> /c/My Documents/
> >>
> >> and opening
> >>
> >> /c/my documents/test.tex
> >>
> >> works.
> >
> > You have a buggy port of Bash.  Get a better one.
>
> This is the most current version of Emacs.

On what OS?  If it's a Posix build or a Cygwin port on Windows, then
it's no surprise that it doesn't DTRT, since the code to handle this
properly isn't compiled in.

In the native Windows build, this all works as expected: completion
finds the file in the right letter-case (i.e. "C-x C-f my docu TAB"
shows "My Documents"), and visiting a file which already has a buffer
visiting its other letter-case variant does not produce a new buffer.

> That Bash shows the same problems is not really surprising because
> there is no good way to avoid it.

Your keeping saying that doesn't make it a fact.

> > Because the code that does TRT in this case is only compiled into
> > Emacs on Windows.
>
> Likely because in a heterogenous environment there is simply no way to
> get this right.

Of course, there is: the behavior should be different on different
kinds of filesystems.