Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:09:18 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:27:47 +0100
>
> > Simple designs have their demerits as well.  Witness the "cat
> > /usr/bin/emacs" snafu on Unix, where you can have yourself logged off
> > or hanged due to the fact that text and binary data are not
> > indistinguishable by design.
>
> "not indistinguishable"?

Should I from now on point out and mock every minor typo in your
messages?

> Anyway, are you saying that terminals can't get confused by binary
> data on Windows?

No.  Not in the terrible way the Unix terminal can, anyway, because
the Windows terminal doesn't interpret certain sequences of characters
as commands to the terminal driver.  About the worst you can get is a
screen full of garbage and a few beeps.