Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:33:19 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:06:26 +0100
>
> Considering that
> /c/my programs/
> is the same directory as
> /c/My Programs/
> but
> /C/My Programs/
> does not exist, and
> /media/usbdisk/My Programs/
> may or may not be identical to
> /media/usbdisk/my programs/
> depending on the file system with which the stick is formatted,
> and considering that fnmatch does not actually look at the file
> systems to determine whether they are case insensitive or not and the
> sensitivity depends on what is currently mounted where and is
> different in different components of a file path, [deep breath]
> I think you are misrepresenting how easy everything is.

Considering that I've solved this problem more than once, and saw
others do it with at least the same success, I think you see problems
where there are none.

> > Again, it's a non-issue if you know that you shouldn't treat file
> > names as simple strings.  You may think it's a very hard problem,
> > but it isn't.
>
> I'll cede that point once you fixed this in Emacs.  Should not be very
> hard.

It's already solved, in the w32 parts of the code.  If it will ever be
decided that Posix platforms want to behave case-insensitively on
case-insensitive filesystems (I don't expect such a decision any time
soon), it should be easy to port that code to the other platforms.