Re: address@hidden: language environment should not be derived from LC_C

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: language environment should not be derived from LC_CTYPE]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:20:56 -0500

> I have the following locale settings [1]:
>
> $ env|grep -e LC_ -e LANG
> LANG=en_US
> LC_COLLATE=POSIX
> address@hidden
>
> $ emacs -Q
>
> `current-language-environment's value is "German" and I get the German
> tutorial.  I expected to see the English version and an English
> language environment:
>
> | `LC_CTYPE'
> |      This category applies to classification and conversion of
> |      characters, and to multibyte and wide characters
> |
> | `LANG'
> |      If this environment variable is defined, its value specifies the
> |      locale to use for all purposes except as overridden by the
> |      variables above.

>From lisp/international/mule-cmds.el:

(defun set-locale-environment (&optional locale-name)
  "Set up multi-lingual environment for using LOCALE-NAME.
This sets the language environment, the coding system priority,
the default input method and sometimes other things.
If LOCALE-NAME is nil, its value is taken from the environment
variables LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LANG (the first one that is set)."

Both `set-locale-environment' and the glib documentation say that LANG
only takes effect LC_CTYPE is undefined.  I think the only thing for
this situation is for the user to set the language environment in the
.emacs file.