What to do with gnuserv references in docstrings

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: What to do with gnuserv references in docstrings
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:43:28 +0100

I'm rewriting some bits of faq.texi and misc.texi to document the TCP
sockets feature of emacsclient.

man/faq.texi, for example, contains this bit about gnuserv:

    There is an enhanced version of `emacsclient' called `gnuserv',
    written by Andy Norman <address@hidden> (*note Packages that
    do not come with Emacs::).  `gnuserv' uses Internet domain
    sockets, so it can work across most network connections.

    The most recent `gnuserv' package is available at

    `http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/'

etc/MORE.STUFF contains this:

* Gnuserv:
  <URL:http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/ange/gnuserv/home.html>
  Enhanced emacsclient/emacsserver.  Also available from this Web
  page: eiffel-mode.el.

gnuserv is no more an "enhanced" version of emacsclient, except
perhaps in little details. Also, we're offering contradicting
information by pointing the user to two alternate (or, at least, quite
different) implementations.

Section "Packages that do not come with Emacs" already points the user
to etc/MORE.STUFF, so I would fix the FAQ stuff:

   A similar package named `gnuserv' is available outside of
   Emacs; it can be useful in mixed GNU Emacs / XEmacs
   environments (*note Packages that do not come with Emacs::).

and etc/MORE.STUFF:

* Gnuserv: alternate server/emacsclient
  <URL:http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/ange/gnuserv/home.html>
  Also available from this Web page: eiffel-mode.el.
  <URL:http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/>
  Another implementation, by Andy Norman <address@hidden>.

                   /L/e/k/t/u