Re: kmacro?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: kmacro?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:31:15 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I came across kmacro in the Emacs manual, but not in the Elisp manual (with
> the exception of a passing mention of `kmacro-start-macro'). Perhaps the
> latter is normal; I don't know, but I might have expected at least a mention
> of `kmacro-ring'.

The Elisp manual describes the C-primitives (start-kbd-macro etc), and
the basic support functions defined in macro.el.

The Emacs manual decribes how the user uses keyboard macros for editing.
Whether that is based on the built-in commands, the commands in macro.el,
or commands in kmacro.el is a technical detail which I don't see can be
of much intest to the user.

In Emacs 22, keyboard macros are more advanced than previous Emacs releases,
since it includes -and uses- the new kmacro.el package.  The Emacs manual
correctly describes the new interface.

I don't really see the problem.

> I think kmacro needs a better presentation in the doc, with some explanation
> of the relation to the formerly standard way of doing things (macros.el and
> the built-ins). If kmacro is meant to replace macros.el and the built-in
> commands, then that should be done completely.

What part is missing?  Is there something which doesn't work as documented?