Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:58:28 +0100

[ Cc-ing Daiki Ueno ]

On Sat, Nov 25 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In this particular case I believe that pgp5 is sufficiently rare, poorly
> supported, and advantageously replaced by gpg (whether you care about your
> own freedom or not), that I don't think Emacs has much to benefit from
> supporting it.

1. `pgg-pgp5.el' might be required for people to read old encrypted
   mails, or does gpg provided full compatibility?  Would people have
   to switch to other (non-Emacs-based) MUAs for decrypting such
   mails?

2. IIUC, PGG will be obsoleted by Daiki Ueno's new implementation
   EasyPG (for GnuPG 1.4.3 and up), so I don't think we should remove
   `pgg-pgp5.el' at this point (before the release).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)