Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:32:18 +0200

> Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 00:55:36 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 11/24/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Because someone needs to remember to update the hardcoded string each
> > time a new version is released.
>
> Someone needs to remember pushing up the version anyway.

There's a difference between changing one file and changing half dozen
of them.

> Releasing a version inevitably requires certain amount of
> administrative steps, and running admin.el seems like the less of it.

Are we at least in agreement that, in principle, anything that's done
automatically as part of preparing a release is better than the need
to do that manually?  Or are you saying that manual steps are not a
burden in any way?

> I propose the following little patch, that uses the admin.el route and
> is minimally disruptive.

Thanks.  This is okay with me, but I'd prefer that the default value
of VERSION in lib-src/makefile.w32-in be UNKNOWN.  That way, if we
ever forget to run admin.el, we get the result shouting right in our
face.