Re: Problems compiling on Archlinux 64

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Problems compiling on Archlinux 64
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:40:31 +0100 (CET)

   > Host libraries are supposed to be put in /usr/lib, and not
   > /usr/lib64 if the host is 64-bit, so the best/simplest solution
   > is probably to not use /usr/lib64 at all, and mention in
   > etc/PROBLEMS that on 64-bit GNU/Linux systems that install 64-bit
   > libraries in /usr/lib64 (and 32-bit in /usr/lib) that one has to
   > modify m/amdx86-64.h or something along those lines.

   According to the OP,

      As far as i know quite some distributions use /usr/lib64 to use
      both 64bit and 32bit (in /usr/lib) libraries. However,
      distributions who do not support 32bit libs at all only use
      /usr/lib

   The fix I suggested was to use /usr/lib64 if that directory exists,
   and /usr/lib otherwise.  Do you think it is not right?

If it works, I think it is right.  I was under the impression that it
didn't work, and people were comming up with strange solutions that
would check what distribution of GNU/Linux was being used and pick the
directory that way.