Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lib-src/makefile.w32-in,v

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lib-src/makefile.w32-in,v
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:06:32 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:49:13 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Emacs Devel" <address@hidden>
>
> BTW, shouldn't it depend on lib-src/makefile instead of
> lib-src/makefile.w32-in?

That'd be a nuisance, I think: people run configure even if
makefile.w32-in didn't change (well, I do), just to be sure.

> If the user does not run configure, makefile will have the old
> version anyway.

What you are actually saying is that makefile in each directory should
depend on the respective makefile.w32-in, and if the latter was
changed, nt/configure.bat should run automatically.  You are probably
right, but let's not do this before the release.

(While at that, we should also avoid recreating makefile's and other
files produced by nt/configure.bat if the new version would be
identical to the old one, to avoid unnecessary recompilation.)