Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:32:09 -0800 (PST)

> That is not possible with case insensitive file systems unless I have
> a function that is guaranteed to compare file names exactly in the
> same manner as the operating system does.
>
> And if I have such a function, it might mean that I can't use file
> names as an index into a hash data structure unless I have a hash
> function that maps operating-system-identical file names onto
> identical keys.
>
> And so forth and so on.

In hopes of better defining the dilemma, some of the forth and on that
might otherwise be missed: the filesystem-comparison function, in addition
to the obvious business with mountpoints, must be an equivalence relation:
in particular, it must be transitive.  This worsens the aforementioned
issue of i, I, and İ for obvious reasons: the latter two must be
considered distinct in Turkish, but English considers the first two
identical-up-to-case and Turkish considers the first and last IUTC.
Certainly each filesystem could have its own equivalence relation, but the
creation of a filesystem just to hold files whose names are in a different
language causes its own problems (such as defeating the rather reasonable
idea of hardlinking English and Turkish words to the same file to provide
simple bilingual support).

Davis

shipping.