Re: Switching to Subversion

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: 27 Nov 2006 23:42:30 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes, Arch is out, sadly.  It doesn't support Windows well enough, and its
> speed is terrible under Mac OS X (apparently because HFS+ handles hardlinks
> pessimally).

I would suggest bzr. I has very lively and responsive group of
developers. They spend great deal of their time in  discussing various
aspecta nd users' preferences.

- It support CVS stulyl "star topology"
- Support distributed branch development
- Has very good merge support
- Is Windoes/*nix agnostic; written in Python
- Includes Emacs back-ends (DVC, bzr-vc.el, etc.)

For more information:

  http://doc.bazaar-ng.org/

Gis ot really not suitable, since it's collection of "scripts" ans has
no structure for long term development. It does not support native
win32 due to being sh-based in general (although some are implemented
in C). Git also has unique idea of "all or nothing" where the
repositories are completely identical to each othe rincluding all of
the histiry in every machince. This may work for kernel development
model, but fo generic SW development, it is not suitable.

People are used to developep "a feature" that is merged into the
mainline. Git has no such concept. It treats all repositories equal.

Mercurical and Bzr would better support CVS style and and distributed
style development simultaneously.

Git is purely distributes and doe snot support start-like-development.

Jari