Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:26:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:17:10 +0100
>> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
>>
>> On 11/27/06, Stuart D. Herring <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > I understand if emacsclient can't use this style of filename (because of
>> > technical limitations, or just for simplicity), or if I'm misunderstanding
>> > the intent of the code, but I thought it important that its existence be
>> > known.
>>
>> It was know; I simply didn't want to add more Windows-specific
>> complexity to emacsclient.
>
> And I support that decision.

I admit to being surprised.  Drive relative filenames are not exactly
rare under Windows.  There does not happen to be a system call or
something which would make them absolute?

On the other hand, I don't know how Emacs itself deals with them.  It
probably does nothing to maintain its own drive-relative location when
doing `cd'.  And if it doesn't, there is not a terrible incentive to
make emacsclient do so unless drag&drop file names or similar
automatisms not under user control could also produce such file names.