Re: How can I debug this?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: How can I debug this?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:24:48 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>>I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
>>>reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
>>>screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
>>>keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?
>
> Note that change:
>
> 2005-03-21  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>
>
>       * icomplete.el: Don't forcibly turn on the mode upon load.
>       (icomplete-mode): Use define-minor-mode.
>
> Both ido.el and iswitchb.el use
>
> (icomplete-mode nil)
>
> to silence that up.  FWIW
>
> (icomplete-mode -1)
>
> should remove the problem.

Thank you.

That (partially) explains what's going on.

Problem is that ido.el only binds icomplete-mode to nil temporarily,
whereas your suggestion permanently disables icomplete-mode.

I have made a change to icomplete.el so that it will notice (and do
nothing) if icomplete-mode is temporarily bound to nil.