Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:35:28 +0200

> Cc: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:26:41 +0100
>
> I admit to being surprised.  Drive relative filenames are not exactly
> rare under Windows.

They are quite rare, actually.  And it doesn't make great sense to me
to support them in the context of emacsclient, where they are even
more rare, since emacsclient is normally invoked from another program.

> There does not happen to be a system call or something which would
> make them absolute?

Yes, there is such a system call, but I don't see a need to go to such
trouble.

> On the other hand, I don't know how Emacs itself deals with them.

It deals with them just fine.  But Emacs needs to handle file names
typed by a human, whereas emacsclient normally doesn't.  So it is an
important feature in Emacs, but an obscure one in emacsclient.

> It probably does nothing to maintain its own drive-relative location
> when doing `cd'.

There's no need: the OS does that for us.

> And if it doesn't, there is not a terrible incentive to make
> emacsclient do so unless drag&drop file names or similar automatisms
> not under user control could also produce such file names.

Right.