Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacsclient: support `/' directory separator on w32
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:57:05 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:51:51 +0100
>>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>>> Cc: address@hidden
>>>
>>> I am not quite sure, but I believe I have seen that the
>>> recommendation from MS for a file argument is to use
>>> GetFullPathName.
>>
>> But Emacs does not do it, see expand-file-name.  So your proposed
>> changes make emacsclient behave differently than Emacs.
>

> What is the reason that Emacs does not do it?

Emacs stores its idea of "relativeness" in `default-directory', a
buffer-local variable.

It is not clear how one would attempt to model drive-relativeness on
different drives than the one the buffer is in.  It is possible to
make `default-directory' point to a different drive from that of
`buffer-file-name'.  Maintaining the old drive-relative position at
the same time does not seem possible to do in a reasonably predictable
way.