Re: address@hidden: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:12:56 -0500

>     > When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
>     > splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the
> splash
>     > buffer goes away.  But if you choose that buffer in the buffer menu
> instead,
>     > you will get an empty buffer named "GNU Emacs".
>
>     I fixed this by changing the initial buffer to " GNU Emacs", thus
>     hiding it.  Thanks.
>
> Is this problem that the buffer "GNU Emacs" shows up in the buffer
> menu?  I so, that change may be a sufficient fix.  But if the problem
> is that the buffer ends up selected and not killed, I think it needs a
> bigger fix.
>
> Which one is it?

Normally, any input event kills the "GNU Emacs" splash buffer.
However, because the buffer name is not hidden, it shows up in the
Buffers menu.  That's why selecting this menu item causes firstly the
splash buffer to be killed, then a new empty "GNU Emacs" buffer to be
created.

I think the current fix is sufficient.