Re: allout mode patch for a few small bugs and cleanup of mode docstring

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: allout mode patch for a few small bugs and cleanup of mode docstring
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:27:09 +0100

"Ken Manheimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> the attached patch resolves a few stray bugs and provides a much
> needed cleanup of the allout-mode docstring, which is the central
> documentation for the mode.  (the bug fixes are small - more than 4/5
> of the patch is for the allout-mode docstring changes.)

I see that you changed several occurrences of ... ( ... ) ... to
.. \( ... \) ... in the doc string.

You only need to quote a ( in the rare case that it occurs in
the first column of a line, and you never need to quote a ).

Appendix D.6 of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual says:

   * If a line in a documentation string begins with an
     open-parenthesis, write a backslash before the open-parenthesis,
     like this:

          The argument FOO can be either a number
          \(a buffer position) or a string (a file name).

     This prevents the open-parenthesis from being treated as the start
     of a defun (*note Defuns: (emacs)Defuns.).