Re: emacsclient: --quiet/--verbose

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: emacsclient: --quiet/--verbose
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:47:15 -0800 (PST)

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Michael Mauger <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If it's deemed to be too late in pretest for these that's fine, but this
>> is a small change and leads to better interaction.
>
> The patch is small and clear, but let's defer to Richard on this one.
>
> BTW, after your previous patch I've committed a change to delay
> calling AllowSetForegroundWindow; otherwise, Emacs could not grab the
> focus when emacsclientw was used to connect to a remote server  (at
> least, if the "remote server" was the same machine) because
> emacsclientw itself grabbed it with its message box.
>
> I don't think that change will affect this second patch of yours, but
> better you check it out.
>
>                     /L/e/k/t/u

A couple of questions on the use of AllowSetForegroundWindow:

* Should it be used if the emacs is "remote" i.e. not at 127.0.0.1?  What if
emacsclientw is running on w32, Emacs is running on Unix, and you try to
foreground a Unix pid.  Is it possible to confirm that a remote host is
actually the local host?  Is it worthwhile to do so?

* Is the AllowSetForegroundWindow really necessary since it isn't called
when emacsclient is run on Unix to a w32 Emacs yet the w32 Emacs responds
and raises in the window stack as you'd expect.

Finally, if people could take another look at the Tramp changes I proposed
for emacsclient.  Again, I'll defer to Richard on whether they should be
committed, but they make the use of multiple remote hosts talking to a
single Emacs much easier.  I can type fc at my Unix shell prompt and edit
the command in my w32 Emacs.  BTW, I do have an updated version (minor
changes) of that patch which I can post, but I'll wait until its clear we
want to move forward.  I'm running with it and it works flawlessly.