Re: address@hidden: font-lock applied to comint prompts]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: font-lock applied to comint prompts]
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:37:03 -0500

There reason for the font-lock-face property is so that it won't
actually appear on the display unless Font-Lock mode is enabled.
In effect, it is a way to "manually" implement fotification
in a certain major mode.  Your change would override this
and display the face even if Font-Lock mode is disabled.
That's not correct.

Since comint uses font-lock-face instead of specifying fontification
rules, it surprises me that the `face' property is placed on anything.
Maybe that comes from Shell mode, from shell-font-lock-keywords.
That seems like an inconsistency, somewhat.  Maybe that is the cause
of the problem.

If you can put the `face' property on the overlay
only when the text it is over has a `face' property,
then I think it will be correct, because when Font-Lock is off
it won't do anything.  Could you do it that way?