Re: saved user abbrevs and system abbrevs

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: saved user abbrevs and system abbrevs
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:50:36 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone see a better fix than changing each mode that defines
> abbrevs to use something like this:
>
> (defvar foo-abbrev-table nil)
>
> ;; Do not override any user abbrev for "foo".
> (unless (abbrev-expansion "foo" foo-abbrev-table)
>   (define-abbrev foo-abbrev-table "foo" "foobar" nil 0 t))

Well, one thing that would make doing it manually much less painful would
be to implement a trivial function allowing

(populate-abbrev-table 'table-symbol '(("foo" "foobar" nil 0 t) ...))

Alternatively, the system abbrevs could be stored in some other file or
files which major modes would load, similarly to the way that user abbrevs
are already handled:

(load-system-abbrev-table 'my-mode-abbrev-table)

...which would read either an entire file appropriate to the mode, or
perhaps read that part of a master file (lisp/sys.abbrevs or so) that
defined the table in question.

WDOT?
Davis

shipping.