Re: Select and Paste

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Select and Paste
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:02:14 -0500

    > That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
    > and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
    > fails for you?

    The fact that Paste and Select and Paste behave differently is not a
    bug: Paste could be enabled because Emacs sees text in the X selection
    (or the Windows clipboard).  In that case, if the Emacs kill-ring is
    empty, Select and Paste will be disabled.

Both of these have conditions of the form (and ... (not buffer-read-only)),
so I don't see how either of them could be enabled in a read-only buffer
regardless of other circumstances.

The same is true of Cut.

Can anyone debug this?  Does anyone else see it fail this way?