Re: using non-Emacs regexp syntax

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using non-Emacs regexp syntax
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:38:34 -0500

> I've already started on this sort of thing, writing a converter just
> between the two formats supported by GNU grep.  (These are

BTW, if the output of your function is only ever passed to Emacs, then it
may be worth it to instead provide ways to access from elisp the full
functionality of the underlying features of the regexp.c code (which was
originally not specific to Emacs and has flags to support various syntax
options, including whether { ( | and friends should be backslashed or not.
See regexp.h).
Of course, maybe both would be useful, depending on the application.

        Stefan