Re: Problem with new display in buffer-menu command

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Problem with new display in buffer-menu command
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:56:17 -0500

    In the buffer-menu display, long file names are now truncated
    (indicated by a ":").  Since the display lines are not wrapped, as
    well, this can result in a display looking like this:

    .   viper-keys-new-test-c:   6  C++/lah
~/usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.91/lisp/emulation/v
        viper-keys-new-test-c:   6  C++/lah
~/usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.91/lisp/emulation/v
     %* emulation             4097  Dired by name
~/usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.91/lisp/emulation/
     %  lisp                 39305  Dired by name
~/usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.91/lisp/

In your message, the first two file names are indented much more than
the following ones.  Is that true in the menu too?  If so, that seems
like a bug, isn't it?

    One of the two top files ends in .h file and the other ends in .cpp,
    but the user cannot tell which is which from this display without
    first visiting one.

We could omit text from the middle of the name instead of from the end.
Would that be better?

      Normally, one would expect the full filename to
    appear when moving the mouse over the truncated filename.  But,
    instead, the message "mouse-1: select this buffer" is always
    displayed, instead, which isn't helpful in this situation.

That seems like a good idea.  I think that we have no ability to
attach different help strings to parts of a menu item, but we could
attach the full file name as the help string to the whole menu item.

Would someone like to implement that?