Re: usr1-signal, usr2-signal, etc.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: usr1-signal, usr2-signal, etc.
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:15:42 -0500

    IMHO, the new signal events in emacs 22 are not done the right way.

    To me, it would be cleaner to define them as [signal usr1],
    [signal usr2], etc.

Do you mean that it would generate a sequence of two events,
`signal' and `usr1', so that `signal' would act as a prefix char?
I agree.  Please change it.

    Ok, there is currently no "etc" in emacs 22, but if we later
    want to be able to catch more signals, this would be a cleaner
    way to extend the interface.

I don't understand what that refers to.

    We could even allow numeric bindings, like [signal 10] for SIGUSR1,
    and also variants like [signal SIGUSR1].

I don't see how that would work.  The signal has to generate a certain
sequence of events.  If it generates `signal' and `usr1',
the second event is not `SIGUSR1' and it is not 10 (C-h).